Sunday, October 23, 2011

Twelfth Grade - Interview Grandma

Jenn Smith
Period 7
I interviewed my Grandma, Lee, who is 69 years old.
1) Who, in our family, came to the United States?
My great grandmother came here with her mother and brother.
2) When did they arrive here?
They arrived in 1938.
3) Where did they come from? And what city?
They came from Valleta, Malta.
4) What did they do when they were in their home country?
My great, great grandmother was a chamber maid in Malta for the english people.
5) How did they get here?
They came here on a boat.
6) Once they landed here, what did they do?
My great, great grandmother worked in a defense place. The U.S. was in war (World War II) at the time so she worked to make things for the army.
7) Where did they live when they first got here?
They lived in Manhattan.
8) How did they end up in New York?
New York was the first place they came.
9) Did they leave anybody behind at their home country?
They left their aunts and uncles at home in Malta.
10) Why did they want to leave to come to the United States?
For a better life and to get money.
11) What was their first job when they got here?
My great grandmother never worked. She got married and became a mother.
12) Was it difficult to find a job?
Yes and no. Because they would take any job just to stay in the United States.
13) How long did it take to become a citizen?
My great grandma took the test to become a citizen when she was 38 years old. Her brother never had to take the test because he was drafted into the war.
14) How old were they when they got married?
My great grandma got married in 1940 when she was 20. My grandparents got married in 1962 when my grandma was 20 years old. And my parents got married in 1990 when my mom was 24.
15) How old were they when they first had a child?
My great great grandma was 16 years old. My great grandma was 24 years old. My grandma was 22 years old. And my mom was 26 years old.
16) Did they ever get their license?
Neither my great grandma or her mother ever got their license. The first one in my family to get their license was my grandma. She got hers when she was eighteen.

No comments:

Post a Comment